“I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up.” That is not one of great day’s top tips.
Great Day’s Top Tips: Getting Out Of The Wrong Side Of The Bed
Do you get out of bed on the wrong side? It’s an expression that means you’re cranky when you get up. In Ancient Rome, the Romans were careful to always get out on the right side rather than the left side of the bed.Conversely, according to Feng Shui, the Ancient Chinese practice of placing items in harmony with the environment, it is best to get out of bed on the left side. This side is associated with money, power, health and family.
Some Modern psychologists also believe that getting out on the left side of bed is best as the left brain controls rational thought and logic. On the other hand, the right side of the brain manages the volatile emotions and the imagination.
Great Day’s Top Tips: Why Are Some People Grumpy?
“Am I grumpy? I might be. But I think maybe sometimes it’s misinterpreted.”
Some people wake up faster than others. So why is this so? Some parents feel frustrated that their child frequently refuses to get up easily and joyfully. Why do some people frequently resist the desire to get up, and then when they do, feel very resentful? To be able to get up quickly some people choose to do light activities in the house such as a five minute tidy-up, go for a short, brisk walk or partake in the mandatory, morning coffee as a vital part in the process to becoming fully alert.
Those that are grouchy may be so for some of the following reasons: Not have had enough sleep, live a life with too many commitments, don’t have sufficient desire to look forward to the day ahead, carry a bad attitude, don’t like to go back to a weekday routine after the weekend is over or don’t have enough happy chemicals in the brain.
Great Day’s Top Tips: Mood Stabilizer
“There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.”
Henry David Thoreau
Neurotransmitters move chemicals through the brain optimally in perfect balance and in the right amount. Serotonin is produced to keep the mind in a good mood and cortisol gives energy to the body, sending sugar into the bloodstream, increasing the heart rate and improving muscle tone.In cases of clinical depression, moods may need to be artificially managed with antidepressants, to restore this natural equilibrium.
Great Day’s Top Tips: Having A Great Day
Moods are the gauge to feelings. Grumpiness in the mornings may be an indication that life is out of balance.
The following pointers will assist you to be able to face the day with a more positive frame of mind. Try them and adopt the ones that you feel you are currently neglecting the most.
Great Day’s Top Tips 1. Create A More Healthy Lifestyle
• Do some daily exercise
• Eat nutritious, healthy moderate-?sized meals three times per day at
regular times. Take the time to eat slowly and enjoy the food
• Get enough sleep, by planning the next day the night before to reduce
• Indulge in a regular massage
• Have regular health checks
• Practice mindfulness, relaxation or meditation to calm the emotions
• Take deep, slow breaths when feeling stressed or irritated
• Listen to uplifting music or read inspirational books
• Have fun and make sure that there is some novelty in your life
Great Day’s Top Tips 2. Be Organized
• If using an alarm choose a ring tone you can handle!
• Schedule your day, have a “to do” list so you feel less burdened by your
tasks and check things off as you go
• Plan your future, monitor the progress of your goals and work on them
step-by-step to stay motivated
• Take regular breaks
• Allocate time for yourself
• Allow yourself to have a holiday
• Focus on the positive to keep you energized. Negative thoughts will drain
you and stop from moving forward to where you want to go
• Adopt a flexible approach as you can’t control everything in your life
Great Day’s Top Tips: 3. Grow As A Person
• Develop increased self confidence by acknowledging your current skill set
• Acquire new skills to increase your competency, stretch yourself and
enhance enjoyment of your life
• Cultivate appreciation and forgiveness of self
• Learn to appropriately channel your feelings of anger, sadness, fear, hurt
• Understand why you are here and what you are passionate about
• Align your thoughts with your words, actions, values and beliefs
• Believe you can achieve
Great Day’s Top Tips: 4. Connect with others
• Display courtesy and empathy to develop rapport
• Cultivate “small talk”
• Listen with interest
• Let others know how you feel using respectful language
• Join clubs or associations of like minded people
If you are in the rut of feeling grumpy in the mornings experiment with some of the above ways and see how you go. Your quality of life will be greatly enhanced if you choose to make improvements and take charge of your environment.
Just imagine, you will then be a force to be reckoned with, may even enjoy your mornings and others might like your company too!
About the Author
GayeLouise O’Brien is a Peak Performance, Business & Executive Coach, NLP Corporate Trainer, Hypnotherapist, Time Line Therapist, Inspirational Speaker, Passion Ignitor and International Best-Selling Author of “NLP Essentials for Teachers”. As a catalyst for transformational change, GayeLouise shares her insights in an inspirational, educational and entertaining way, with businesses and individuals who desire to make their greatest contribution to the planet and co-create a more enlightened world.